Can I make it big on Youtube in 2018?

Hi guys,

I have been a fan of watching Youtube videos for many years, even before the site was owned by Google. The only videos I have uploaded though are silly ones for my daughter. There is even a Harry-Ginny shipping video that I hid for ages because I was embarrassed when I realized people had been watching it. I have since made it public.

This year I have read quite a few articles insisting that it is almost impossible to start a successful Youtube channel in 2018 and that you are unlikely to make decent money doing it.

I decided to take on the challenge. The only problem is that I know nothing of video editing and have only my iPhone SE to record on.



My first thought was to learn how to video edit and get a new camera but that wouldn't be a particular organic way to start a channel.

Looking at YouTube I discovered that it had a Creator's Academy and decided that that would be a good place to start. So together, you and I, are going to learn what you need to do to start a YouTube channel that is more than uploading a few silly family videos and how to gain a following.

We are at the start of our journey so I think we need to get back to basics... the first lesson we will complete together is called Jumpstart Your Channel  . It tells us the absolute minimum you need to get your channel up and running. C'mon, do it with me.

It looks like consistency is the biggest factor in growing a successful channel which makes sense because when people do find you, they will see that you already have a body of work to browse and enjoy. Do the work and the people will come.

I am going to head back to the Creator's Academy to watch a few more videos. See you all tomorrow!

A few hours later

I'm back. I decided to make a Twitter account for this project instead of confusing my existing Twitter account that I've had for years, and I filled in the form and followed four people it suggested after I made Youtube my only interest. Suddenly out of nowhere I was locked out before I had even sent a tweet. Just to be clear, I only followed four accounts it suggested and that was all.

I don't like to give out my number online so I had to leave it locked. I did contact support to ask why I was being blocked without doing anything wrong and we will see what they say. I wonder if it is a ruse to get your personal information when you don't want to give it out? I did check and you are allowed to have more than one Twitter account so I didn't break any rules. Have any of you guys had an issue like this? Let me know in the comments.

Comments